C. H. Knight Block

Currently, a “block” in town means the section of town between two streets.  In the late 1800s and early 1900s when one heard a new “block” was being constructed in town, the reference was to a building containing a block or group of two or more businesses. For example, in 1887 the C. H. Knight Block was constructed with three businesses on the ground floor and seven office spaces on the second floor.  The three businesses in the C. H. Knight Block were the BRATTIN Jewelry Store, The Bee Hive (a shop where ladies’ dresses were made to order), and Union Billard Hall.

Prior to becoming the location for the C. H. Knight Block, a hotel stood on the southeast corner of Main Street and Franklin Street, in Brazil, Indiana.    J. G. ACKELMIRE purchased the hotel and moved it to a vacant lot on Sherman Street, where he converted it into a residence.

Today the former C. H. Knight Block building houses Lynn’s Pharmacy.

Knight Block

Knight Block600
Knight Block 1888 Brazil, Indiana

The stone to the left was found in a flowerbed in Indianapolis.  It is from the top of a building  known as the Geo. A. Knight Block, located on the south side of National Avenue in Brazil, Indiana.  The stone has been donated by the current owner to the Clay County Historical Society.  It will be on display in their museum at 100 E National Avenue.  There is also a Knight Street, which is one block south of Jackson Street from Depot Street west to the First Christian Church on U.S. Highway 40 west of Brazil.   Read more about George A. Knight.